The STSM coordinator will then propose a ranked list of applications to the management committee: chair and vice-chair, WG leaders, Grant Awarding coordinator, Science Communication Coordinator, Training Schools Coordinator, and Stakeholder Coordinator. In case of rejection, a justification needs to be encoded. The justification will be included in the e-notification to the applicant.
Evaluation will be based on the complementarity of the applicant and host group, the quality and scientific excellence of the research proposal, the relevance of the work plan for the achievement of PURPLEGAIN objectives, the impact on the career of the grantee, the potential to support new collaborations. There should be special considerations with respect to supporting COST policies on promoting gender balance, enabling Early Career Investigators (ECI) and applicants from ITC countries (Inclusiveness-Target-Countries), while broadening geographical inclusiveness.
The selection committee, composed of the Action Chair, the Grant Awarding coordinator and a representative of each WG, will evaluate the STSMs proposals within a month after the STSMs call deadline and will inform the grant holder of the successful evaluated proposals. The successful applicants will then receive an e-mail from the grant holder (Grant Letter Notification), stating the official approval of the STSM application, the granted budget and a payment request form which has to be completed after the completion of the STSM for the grant to be transferred. The Grant Letter outlines the rights and duties of the grantee and of the Grant Holder.
If the amount of funding by all applications within a call does not exceed the available budget, the applications are handled by the Grant Awarding coordinator only. The Grant Awarding coordinator then presents the list to the selection committee which must accept the funding of every application.
If there are more applications than funding is available, the following procedure takes place.
- A list of all applications (containing an informative summary as well as the names of the home and host institutions) is distributed to all members of the selection committee in form of a table in which every evaluator can mark which applications he or she can evaluate according to their field of expertise.
- To guarantee a fair and objective evaluation, an evaluator should have no affiliation with neither the home nor the host institution of the STSM proposal in question.
- All applications are evaluated by two members of the selection committee. The Grant Awarding coordinator distributes the proposals to the individual evaluators.
- The criteria given in the table below shall be applied for evaluation. The first criterion (a) is assessed by the Grant Awarding coordinator prior to the evaluation process.
a) Before any further criteria are considered
Application is complete and fulfils all formal requirements
The application will be ranked last if the applicant was granted in previous STSM call
b) Evaluation of the proposal
Applicant or host group from ITC country
0 or 10
Applicant is ECI
0 or 10
Impact on the career of the application
Complementary between the applicant and the host group
Multidisciplinarity or interdisciplinarity of the proposal
CV of the applicant
CV of the host group, aligned with the objectives of PurpleGain action
Scientific Quality and Relevance to the objectives of PurpleGain Action
Creation of a new collaborations within PurpleGain partners*
0 or 5
*-Scientific productivity, training capacity and available infrastructure referred to the last 5 years
**-The home and host institution have not collaborated previously
- The evaluators report their evaluations to the Grant Awarding coordinator.
- The Grant Awarding coordinator ranks all evaluations and then reports the final result to the selection committee to be discussed and accepted. The STSM coordinator will approve the applications selected in the e-cost platform.
- The applicants are informed about the decision reached.